FALL IN LOVE WITH MORE FREE TEMPLATES! CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR OWN SMITTEN BLOG DESIGN... »

Friday, December 31, 2010

Starting New

I'm not a goal setter or a resolution maker. They make me crazy. Why? Because I generally never reach most of the goals I set. I tend to make my resolutions based on who I think I should be, not who I truly am. And when you base your goals on what you deep down know is unrealistic, you just end up feeling like more of a failure when it's all abandoned.

Every year, I decide on a 'Focus' for myself. Not a goal, just a focus, or a theme, for where I want to center my vision. I post it on my mirror, just as a way of checking in. Do I truthfully look at it everyday? No. But, it's there. I take notice of it when I pull out the Windex, or when I turn and it catches my eye. It's a subtle reminder that tends to stick with me. There's no pressure attached to it, only clear focus.

For 2011, I've taken my year's theme from a favorite blogger. She originated the phrase, and it's grown into something more than the words themselves.
Do Less, Be More.
The written words seem simple, but it's message is deeper and life sustaining. What it means for me will vary from what it means for you. That's what makes these words so nourishing. And, they also make you feel like stretching your soul to be and do something greater.

Tomorrow is a fresh start. I'll open a new calendar and it will feel like a new beginning. January just has that effect. It makes your mind clear a bit and focus on what you want the new year to bring. So, whether you are a goal setter, or if you use a word to define the next 365 days, make sure you are true to yourself and what you want for those you love. As for me, I'm going to focus on being more and doing less. Wish me luck.

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

Love it...the insiration i needed for January's RS meeting. Awesome.

Shelly Turpin said...

Whenever I think of New Year's Resolutions, I think of your Dad. He gave a talk in Sacrament on it. I thought it was profound. He said don't make a million goals. Instead think of one thing you want to do more of (increase) and one thing you want to do less of (decrease). It helps this this time of year! Happy New Year!