FALL IN LOVE WITH MORE FREE TEMPLATES! CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR OWN SMITTEN BLOG DESIGN... »

Sunday, October 24, 2010

All The Ways I Fail

It's the little things. They seem to pile on top of one another, forming mounds. They appear at the most random of times, reminding me that I can't seem to do my job right.

Last night, the 11 yr. old propped her leg up on the counter. She wanted me to look at the red, bumpy rash on her legs. I leaned in to examine and asked her, "Did you just shave your legs?" She replied that she had. I then asked, "Did you use soap?" She stared at me like I spoke a foreign language. "Soap?" she said. "Why would I use soap?"

I stopped and turned my full attention to her. "How do you normally shave your legs?" Apparently she uses a razor. And nothing else. What? How is it that I haven't taught this girl how to shave her legs? I know I've taught someone. I'm pretty sure I've done it twice. Obviously I wasn't clear in my explanation.

Out of the 365 days in the year, I feel like I've got it all together on about 5 of them. Maybe 6. There are just too many little things that make me realize I'm probably doing more harm than good. Shaving without soap? Where did that even come from? Probably the same place where she learned to burp the alphabet. Right here at home. Obviously, here at the Circus, there is just a bit of a learning curve.

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

OUCH...I remember a time or two when I was in a huge hurry and thought I could atually get away with a dry shave. Big mistake. Hopefully one she doesn't repeat!

Rydgd said...

awesome. i've just decided that maddie will never shave. it could prevent many future problems. or maybe it could cause a few problems. I don't know. if i start contemplating my failures, i'd have to just crawl into bed and pull the covers over my head. too too too many to even count.