FALL IN LOVE WITH MORE FREE TEMPLATES! CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR OWN SMITTEN BLOG DESIGN... »

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Summer Night #16

In between the sibling fights, putting away groceries, and the pleading for people to pick up their crap, a perfect summer night unfolded. It was one of those nights where life seemed to settle into a cozy rhythm. I found myself soaking in the minutes, knowing that regular life would take over within the hour.

After we returned home from Karate Kid, the new slip n' slide was assembled. By this time of year in Texas, you can't really bare being outside for fear of being scorched. Tonight, as they played together and laughed, the temperature felt just a bit cooler.
Frosting played a large part in the perfect evening. It wouldn't really have been perfect at all if it hadn't included baked goods. The frosted cookies are to be handed out tomorrow at church. And, I'll have you know, Todd made the Father's Day cookies. Kinda poignant, don't you think?

If you look closely, you'll notice that I removed all the crispy, brown edges. I dipped each and every one (I shared a few) into that bowl of frosting. I'm pretty sure that heaven smells just like that bowl.

And, if frosted cookies weren't enough, the final lining of my evening's perfection came from this--
Chip's Ahoy WITH. REESE'S. CUPS! I know, I know, it almost takes your breath away. I literally gasped in the cookie isle at Walmart today. I'm serious. I took the box off the shelf and held it close to my heart while my mind whispered the words, "Someone finally used their genius brain cells to create a cookie that will improve the lives of all humanity." I might have to go out on a limb and suggest this invention for the Nobel Peace Prize.

An hour or so after my perfect summer night began, it all seemed to fade into normality. Showers had to be taken, dishes cleaned and slides put away. But somehow, these ordinary motions felt just a little easier to accomplish. Smiles seemed to remain and tired bodies lounged on the couch. A few arguments erupted and even tears from the youngest. Just a bit of normal sprinkled into an evening to remember.


1 comment :

Anonymous said...

A perfect summer night. Okay...Yummo on those new cookies. I need me a box or two!