FALL IN LOVE WITH MORE FREE TEMPLATES! CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR OWN SMITTEN BLOG DESIGN... »

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Summer List #19

From the outside looking in, this was a picturesque moment. Notice I use the word MOMENT. Our Summer List includes a trip to our school's summer library. Today I forced them to go. I mean, really forced. Threaten harm, kind of force. Do you think that counts as a fun summer memory?

It has just been one of those summer days. The kind where everyone wakes up grouchy. The kind where every mouth that opens is arguing, whining or fighting with a sibling. Non. Stop. By 1:00 pm, I literally pushed them into the car and emptied them into the library. I then bought everyone a Sonic slush and came home and built a fort.
The MOMENT lasted for 45 minutes. Everyone was happy. We huddled beneath blankets and read books. We actually felt like a normal family. For a MOMENT. I really don't think normal families with normal kids, know how good they've got it.
Once the moment ended, it was gone. Fighting returned and teenagers told me, "that's not fair!" I simply looked at them and replied, "I don't care."

My girls will probably never remember this day. They will check off #19 on our List, and move on. But I will remember it. I'll hold it near the surface of my thoughts. Because, endless are the days where we are daily living, the kind of living that moves by unnoticed. But for a small moment today, we stopped running through life long enough to find joy in being together. Peace settled into the air around us and we seemed to capture all the essence of the word 'Family'. Just for a moment. But one that will hold a permanent spot within the lines of a summer checklist.

3 comments :

Anonymous said...

There is just something magical about a fort!

Kristina and Joe said...

I love making forts with your girls! They used to ask me to make one every time I came over. I miss you guys!

Debbie said...

I agree with the first comment. There IS something magical about building a fort, whether inside or out. I guess we all respond to a retreat.

Found you on Tuesdays Unwrapped.
Your post brought back some memories for me.