FALL IN LOVE WITH MORE FREE TEMPLATES! CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR OWN SMITTEN BLOG DESIGN... »

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

More Than Special

The day is drawing to a close. For most, it will pass without fanfare or notice. But, for one 10 yr. old girl, today has been extraordinary.

Test results arrived today. She passed. I do not say it lightly. She. Passed! Texas testing for a 5th grader is a big deal. For a child who is dyslexic, it's monumental. This girl has accomplished something that slips by as ordinary for most students. She has worked and worked and worked. Her teachers have worked. As her mother, I have prayed countless hours.

Thus, today, is extraordinary. Today marks a milestone achieved. One that was rightly earned. The happiness is palpable in our house.


She used her teacher's cell phone to call me from school. I screamed in the middle of Target. Her only request to celebrate, was to spend time with the babies and for everyone to go out to dinner.


Lucky for her, she also has an extraordinary Nana. She too screamed when she received the news. She bought Kellie balloons and treated us all to a fabulous restaurant.


It's the day before the last day of school. Up until now, I have stewed and worried over these results. I have been too preoccupied to offer my usual load of whining and complaining that my kids will be home for the summer. From now on, I shall double up my efforts.

We have experienced many days, when test results arrived, that did not end like this one. But maybe, that has made this day all the more special. School is an uphill battle for this girl. And today, she reached the summit. So. Very. Extraordinary.

5 comments :

penny said...

She is amazing. Tell her that she is smart, and brave and has "stickity tooooo ity".

Spray on Tan????!!! or, a plastic swimming pool filled with coke and ice, you could soak in it, have a long straw to sip, stay cool and maybe it would dye your legs a nice caramel color. It doesn't work to consume sooooo much that it turns your skin caramel color. I have proven that theory false on all sorts of levels and quantities.

And, way to make me cry with your post about Bethany. She wore 6 inch red high heels and strutted across the podium. I think she is 6'4 with them on. She doesn't mind one bit.

You are an awesome mother.

Anonymous said...

W-O-O-H-O-O!!! That is AWESOME Makell!! We completely understand how extraordinary this accomplishment is! We are so proud of you!! You Rock!! We love you!

Anonymous said...

Many more successes ahead!! good job Makell> (And Lisa, I know you did half the work this last year helping her!)

Diane said...

That great Makell!! Lisa, I was wondering what happened to your usual school ending comments. I thought you had mellowed!! Look forward to your future posts> lol

Emily Kikuchi said...

SO proud of her! Love my opair from Tomball more then words can say!!!