FALL IN LOVE WITH MORE FREE TEMPLATES! CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR OWN SMITTEN BLOG DESIGN... »

Saturday, December 5, 2009

Our Name

We search for knowledge in various places, concerning various dilemmas, at various times in our lives. There are times when we feel so desperate to grasp any wisdom greater than our own, in hopes of finding direction. Sometimes we find it. Most of the time we keep moving forward while trying to make the best decisions we know how.

Knowledge usually comes at unexpected times for me. While pondering one dilemma, I find truth for another. Or, my mind is simply directed to a place where I can learn something the Lord wants me to know. It happened tonight. I walked into a meeting with hopes of an answer, but left with knowledge of a different lesson learned.

I tried all day to find a reason not to go. I worked it over and over in my mind. The list was long. A rational person would have stayed home and watched TV. But yet, Todd and I went. We dropped the kids off with my mom and sister and ran out of the house before they could change their minds.

I sat through the meeting straining to hear the smallest of whisperings to my current question. I waited and waited. Nothing. But then, a new lesson emerged. The speaker suggested that when the time comes, we will have to Return and Report what we have done with our name. Our family name that holds countless generations before us. What example have we set by how we have lived?

The name I bear comes with strength and example. It's a name I cherish and hold dear. Hard work, sacrifice, love, and faith are just a few of the things my name has passed on to me. While sitting in the meeting, a memory came to me of my dad. A week before he passed away, I happened to notice his day planner on the shelf. I took it in my hands and opened it to the last page he had written on months previous. It held notes from a church meeting. A meeting identical to the one I was sitting in.

As I continued to look through his planner, I took note of what it contained. Pictures of his grand kids, a note from my mom, each family member's birthday penciled on the calendar, church meetings, work meetings and deadlines. My dad was a vice president. He was very busy. He was usually in his office by 4:00 am. But yet, a majority of his planner reflected otherwise. It held his true priorities. His family and his love of the Lord.

I truly believe my dad got to honorably Return and Report what he did with his name. Tonight, I was reminded to be diligent in all I do. May I live my life in such a way that I might pass on this name. Ever loving. Ever faithful. Ever true.

Happy Birthday Dad. My heart longs to see you.

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

Our hearts were all with your amazing family yseterday... We love you and are grateful for the legacy your daddy left us to follow and strive to have ourselves. I know he is close!

Becky Leland said...

Thank you Lisa. Evan will forever be apart of our lives!