FALL IN LOVE WITH MORE FREE TEMPLATES! CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR OWN SMITTEN BLOG DESIGN... »

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

My Cup

I've been thinking about two things lately: (1) Where can Grace be found in my life? (2) How can I determine when my cup is too full? These two seem to be opposites. But, I've thought about them simultaneously. I'm not sure why. It's just where my mind has lingered as of late.

I've had this overwhelming sense that my cup feels full. Actually, I think it's toppled over the edge and it now drips down the sides. I know you understand what I'm talking about. It's a universal force in women. Our cups are always full. Usually too full.

At quiet moments, I determine to bring the cup level down a notch or two. I talk my mind into full acceptance of what I need to do to get there. But then life gets noisy. The quiet disappears and my guilt starts to coat over my determination. So, my cup stays full.

Today, I went to the one House where I find refuge. I sat. I listened. And I tried to hear an answer to my overflowing cup problem. Did I find a specific answer? Not really. I think it can only be discovered within myself. But, guess what I did find? Grace. His Grace.

His is the soul-saving kind of grace. It's not the kind that empties my cup and does all the work for me. That I have to do on my own. His Grace offers peace while living with a cup too full. It softens the edges of it and makes way for love, and growth, and learning.

Today I discovered that opposites really do attract. Grace and Life somehow go hand-in-hand. In the end, they make the perfect balance. All I had to do, was step away from my cup long enough to receive it.

5 comments :

Rydgd said...

:) My favorite House EVER! And I'm sorry - the church's "cup" analogy...always makes me think of my 'barely a B' cup....

Joan said...

Sometimes that cup becomes too much when we feel we have to add extra frills and bling to every task when all that is needed is the basics given with love and gratitude for the opportunity to serve.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, needed a pep talk to get me going. That worked!

Tillia said...

Loved this!! Thank you for the pick me up! My cup seems so full at times and sitting in that peaceful house is just what I need!! Thanks for the reminder of where I can turn for peace and grace.

Becky Leland said...

Lisa, THANK YOU!