FALL IN LOVE WITH MORE FREE TEMPLATES! CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR OWN SMITTEN BLOG DESIGN... »

Thursday, September 16, 2010

A Simile

Setting: Last night. The car-fixer store. The waiting room.

Characters: Me and the 2 youngest. They're the ones who have no earthly idea how to get their homework done without my constant vigilance. For the love of all that's holy, this time of day is so painful, even my teeth hurt.

Plot: We wait for a new car battery to be installed. We use the time to do the 2nd graders homework, and to study for the 6th graders Literary Elements test.

Conflict: The 2nd grader has no concept of handwriting. I make her erase her work 3 different times and write it over. By the third attempt, she is writhing on the floor and moaning that her "teacher taught her to write her 'a' to look like a 'u'!" In between these outbursts, I review the literary elements with the 6th grader for the fifth time. She continues to look at me and say, "Um, I have no idea what that means." I start to consider beating my head against a nearby tire.

Simile: I repeat the definition AGAIN-- A comparison using 'like' or 'as'. Let me give you an example: "Doing homework with your children is like pulling out your eyelashes. Slowly."

Resolution: A nanny.

4 comments :

Anonymous said...

Why, for the love of cupcakes everywhere, are you going to a car fix-it store with your kids??? That is a task only to be preformed while they are all happily at school! Torture!

Rydgd said...

way to multitask, lisa! and i feel your pain - when the clock strikes four, i get the shivers and realize i have to survive through homework time yet again. never a happy thought.

Unknown said...

I can't even describe how much anxiety enters my chest when it's 3:00 every weekday. I swear I may not survive this homework crap. It is highly intense and over the top stressful. I want to beat my head on a tire too! You are not alone. I have been praying that I can stop stressing so much from 3-8 and that the girls will want to be around me during that time.

If only the schools didn't send home work! Life would be so much more pleasant!

Whit Petersen said...

i miss you and the whole family