FALL IN LOVE WITH MORE FREE TEMPLATES! CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR OWN SMITTEN BLOG DESIGN... »

Sunday, August 29, 2010

A Day Of Rest?

If I'm reading my scriptures correctly, the Lord rested on the 7th day. Right? So, why does that modern day translation seem to require more work than resting? My perception of the actual word 'rest' is more than likely my problem. Maybe in the days of Christ, that didn't necessarily mean, 'lay on the couch and take a nap and the kids don't talk'. Maybe the biblical version of 'rest' just means 'doing different stuff than the rest of the other 6 days'.

While I 'rested' this day, the offspring asked if they could bake a cake. That simple request turned into a crazy mess of dishes and food coloring. It created so much 'rest' for me, small squirts of tears formed in the corner of my eyes.



What kind of a mother lets her kids do this? One that's tired? One that's crazy? Or, one who wants to rest? More than likely, it's one that only has half an eyebrow.


Hidden beneath the layers of frosting lies a pink (very, very pink) cake. At one point there was a serious debate on which food colors should be used. Debate is a nice way of saying 'argument'.

You all know how much I adore cake. So, of course I ate it. Lots of it. For those few mini-seconds where I scrapped off all the frosting and licked my fork, I rested. Maybe that's the part the scriptures don't teach us. You don't get to rest for the whole day. But, just for 5 minutes and frosting is involved.

Definitely food for thought.