FALL IN LOVE WITH MORE FREE TEMPLATES! CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR OWN SMITTEN BLOG DESIGN... »

Monday, January 17, 2011

5 of 40

I'm two weeks in to my 'Do Less, Be More' year. And, I've already discovered something. The 'doing' is harder than the saying. It takes effort and focus. Definitely not something I planned on. It also requires decisions. What exactly do I choose to do less, so that I can be more?

Saturday night found the family room looking like the aftermath of a hurricane. This is only one side of the room, the other looked just as bad. My kids felt the desire to pull out all art activities at once. Then they found lanterns to add to the ambiance.

I stood in front of this mess and surveyed the scene and cringed. I tossed around two different thoughts simultanesouly. Clean up and make everyone miserable while doing so, or sit, relax and enjoy time with my family. Sitting is hard for me, relaxing even harder.

Making the choice felt monumental. It shouldn't have been. Logically, any good parent would sit and enjoy time with their kids. But, here's the thing-- messes make me crazy. I can tolerate them only so long and then I need the carpet wiped clean. Leaving the mess untouched makes my insides tie in knots. Sad, but true.

Folded within my choice was the realization that in order to Do Less and Be More, I had to give myself permission to do so. I had to decide that there was freedom in both options. That in order to do something different with my life, I had to do something different with the way I thought about it.

I sat down on the couch with my kids and watched TV. Later, I left the mess and went to bed. I shocked myself right to sleep. Is that always the choice I'll make? Probably not. But, discovery did not come lightly. Less Doing and More Being starts within. The greatest change always does. Whispered moments where we decide to Do and Be will eventually find ground and help us to become More. It's just that simple.

1 of 40, 2 of 40, 3 of 40, 4 of 40


2 comments :

Becky Leland said...

GOOD FOR YOU!!! I LOVE your thoughts!

Stacie Cooper said...

Good job Lesa, but I have to say that if that is a hurricane in your living rom then I'm not sure what hits my house every day :)