FALL IN LOVE WITH MORE FREE TEMPLATES! CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR OWN SMITTEN BLOG DESIGN... »

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Colorful

Growing up, we lived around the corner from a very colorful family. Every neighborhood has one of these families, but this one was REALLY colorful. Lots of kids, crazy stuff happening all the time....like putting on plays (including costumes and sets) that would last for 3 days. As a child, I was fascinated by the mother of this family. She had a fantastic laugh and she would wear a ginormous hat to church on Easter. Whenever they were getting ready to go on vacation, she would take all the clothes to the laundromat and wash them. She would then pack all the suitcases and lock them in the car--and there they would stay until the vacation. I'm not quite sure what everyone wore until that time came....I also remember that they painted the outside of their house a creamsicle orange--after the fire of course.

At one point, a few of the little girls in this family were playing with mustard seeds in their bedroom (don't even ask, I don't know where they got them). Some time after that the carpet got wet (maybe during the fire). Many, many, many months later when someone actually looked under the beds, there were mustard plants growing! Mustard. Plants. Growing. In. The. Carpet!!!!!! Again, I repeat, a colorful family.

Keeping this in mind, look what I found under Addie's bed:

It's a bag of noodles. My girls have a strange obsession with eating them raw. It appears that they snuck them upstairs. How long have they been there? Good heavens, who knows. But as I leaned over and stared at these noodles, I thought of the mustard plants. And in that instant, in the pit of my stomach, I knew...."holy crap, we're the colorful family!" The realization is sobering. Well, not really. I mean, it's obvious that we are that family, I just try to pretend otherwise. So, I've already ordered my hat for Easter, written the script and designed the costumes for our play and our house is going to look great in creamsicle orange. So Colorful.

6 comments :

Kevin said...

Being one that knows the original 'Colorful' family and had a second life run in with them as an adult after moving out of state, I can confidently say you and yours will never quite be the 'Colorful' family.
You and yours are a different kind of 'colorful'. Maybe we should spell it differently like with a 'K', 'Kolorful' or with an English touch, 'Colourful'.
The 'Colorful' family stories are ones that make you shake your head and cringe. Your 'Kolorful' makes you sigh and giggle and shake your head a little wondering when the next 'Kolorful' thing is going to happen.
Oh, the memories...
Oh the new ones being created by the 'Kolorful' family 2nd generation ;)

Christy said...

We were a colorful family FOR SURE! We were also the pee family... you know the family who's house smelled like pee - good times.

Christy said...

btw - you don't need to worry about being that family... the mom has to be a little out of touch with reality and that ain't you.

penny said...

At least she didn't throw them out the upstairs window with the pot and the strainer and the water and the kitchen sink........

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, we're that "colorful" family too- ya know, you hear people whisper when you walk into church on Sunday, wondering what is going to happen this week! :) HA! Oh, I just love it! And hey, you can mark natural disaster off your list too- Ike would count for sure :)! In my opinion, colorful is much more fun than drab and plain :)!

Anonymous said...

What are you talking about? I can't even relate to someone like you! My children are always clean, behaved and well mannered. (They got that from me, not Wade.)

I'm dreaming. Sadly I can relate all to well. BOO-HOO! Actually I guess we wouldn't be considered Crazy... just white trash. Lice, Cavities, no shoes, car on cinder blocks in the front lawn.