FALL IN LOVE WITH MORE FREE TEMPLATES! CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR OWN SMITTEN BLOG DESIGN... »

Friday, May 16, 2008

Happy Birthday Sister

Today is my sister's birthday. I love her. A lot. She and I could not be more different, and maybe that's why I adore her so much. She is all the things I long to be--patient, kind, optimistic. She is actually so nice, it can get irritating. Happiness just oozes out of her. I find it fascinating.

She and I are at opposite ends of our family. I'm the oldest, she's the youngest. I'm the mean one, she's the nice one. When I came to Houston last year to be with my dad in the hospital, Emily had just returned back to Hawaii. We were swapping places. All the doctors and nurses knew her. When they met me, they would just tilt their head and pause for a second before saying, "ah, we've heard about you." I would respond, "I know, the nice one just left, and I'm the mean one." In turn, they would all say, "ya, we just love Emily". Me too.

My sister lived with me for about a year and a half before she got married. I loved it. The day after she got married, I walked into her old room and just cried. Now she lives an ocean away, and I miss her. I cherish her more than I can express. She is my dearest friend. And, the person who gets my kids if I run away.

She has taught me many things, most of which require a positive outlook, which is usually a difficult proposition for me. She laughs. All the time. She finds the funny, the joy, the unexpected in life. The smallest things can make her laugh so hard, she doubles over. My brother called her 'beached whale' for years, until he left for college--and she still has amazing self esteem today. The 'Suite Life of Zach and Cody' is her favorite show (oh yes, she is 29). She is so talented, she has been published (in a scrapbook magazine). And, she is fiercely protective and loyal for those she loves. She is ridiculously fantastic and ha-larious.

I love you Em. I love you immensely. Happy Birthday.

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

Emily, I feel like I know you although we've not met. You can't be friend with lisa and not know how much she love you. Happy happy birthday! Someday well all have a fun "girls weekend."