FALL IN LOVE WITH MORE FREE TEMPLATES! CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR OWN SMITTEN BLOG DESIGN... »

Friday, August 1, 2014

A Day For Sisters


August 1st is Sister's Day. It's not a national event. Just a Foster event. A tradition we started so long ago, I can't remember how old they were. They were little, some not even in school. And I explained the gift of having sisters. And then I let them pick a date on the calendar. A beautiful tradition was born.

Some years we have a full day planned. Others we do something simple. Today we're at the tail end of spending days and days and days together. So, it went something like this: I made them wake up at 11:00 am (oh the insanity!), we went to lunch, then shopping. #3 found her friend while at the store and left with her. #2 spent every step at Target following me like a duck while saying, "I. Hate. Shopping!!!!!" At one point, she tried to get crafty and scare her sister. She just ended up knocking her forehead on a shelf. It made me smile.

I also bought them all matching anchor necklaces. I wanted them to always remember that sisters are the anchors in your life. After my inspirational rant where I explained the necklaces meaning, one daughter said, "Um. If this isn't real silver, I'm not wearing it." (What the?!) And another daughter chimed in, "I feel uncomfortable wearing necklaces with t-shirts." (What does that even mean?) I almost chocked them both with the chains.

If you have a sister, you've been given a gift. Even on the days when you wish she would be adopted out. Tell her you love her. Today. And mean it. She's your anchor. Even if she's made of fake silver :)


No comments :