It's funny what happens during the holidays. Life seems to unfold a bit. Loosens around the edges. Schedules disappear, people sleep in, a ridiculous amount of food is consumed. A quiet joy tends to fill all those loose spaces that are normally held rigid during the day-to-day.
Around here, we learned a few things this year. In no random order:
- A live lobster is the Best. White. Elephant. Gift. Ever!
- Santa makes house calls.
- All those endless recitals and holiday concerts? They really are the greatest chance to sit back and soak in the goodness of the gift of family.
- Teenagers are hard to by gifts for when all they want is money.
- Endless days of playing games and eating candy can cause you to fall asleep at the dinner table.
- As a parent, there is nothing like watching your child open the gift they have been hoping for. Nothing.