FALL IN LOVE WITH MORE FREE TEMPLATES! CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR OWN SMITTEN BLOG DESIGN... »

Friday, March 23, 2012

The Things That I Forgot

I no longer have a brain that functions. This is the conclusion I have come to. It's merely a result of 2 crazy weeks. Well, 1 crazy week and a Spring Break. I think there might be a scientific formula for this kind of episode. Kids home+stress=Dead Mom. Over the last 2 weeks, I've been reminded of a few things I had forgotten (and really had no desire to remember).


First thing I forgot: The DMV is the armpit of America.

I wish I had great things to write about Spring Break. I don't. The kids were home, they fought, I (hypothetically) yelled at them. The only exciting event was taking Sam to the DMV to get her driver's permit.
4 1/2 hours!! We almost went crazy and I think half my brain fell out by hour 3. Where do all those people come from? Seriously! And why does it always feel like you're the only normal one in the building? The mother behind us took the time to explain to her daughter that she wouldn't let her work at Hooter's until she was 21. Of course her explanation involved a good helping of swear words. Sam turned to me and asked, "Why isn't she acting like a grown up?" Ah, good question.


Second thing I forgot: Toddlers are crazy.

Teenagers are their own special crazy. I can't even describe it in words. But, 3 year olds? That's just crazy topped with exhausting. I really had forgotten that part.
My sister's Twin #2 has been in the hospital for the last 5 days. Very sick, very pneumonia. So, Twin #1 took up residence here. What little bit of brain I had left after the DMV is now gone. It's been sucked away. I think by tomorrow I may not be able to speak. People have started asking me if I adopted a 3 year old from China.


Third thing I forgot: Happiness comes in the smallest of moments.

They are both in separate choirs. This week, they performed together. So much of family life is spent living life at a fast pace and arguing with those you love the most. I tend to wish for happiness in big, heaping piles of peace, kind words and pleasant attitudes. Happiness doesn't really work like that. It shows up in the smallest of ways, a calm in the storm. Like when 2 sisters stand together and sing. For just a moment, things felt like heaven.


3 comments :

Bethany said...

I adore this whole family with all of my heart. And that is a truth that I never forget. Love and miss you.

Anonymous said...

4.5 hours????? Kill me now. You need a vacation and a cupcake!

Shelly said...

I have never had a teenager, but I am eyeballs deep in the crazy 3 year old!!! Add to that exhaustion, a 3 month old and an 11 month old who is into everything and I can start to see why my hair is getting so grey!!! I need a LONG nap!!